chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls,

I have had the drawings done by the structural engineer re steel work for the chimney removal on the 1st floor. I am waiting for the builder to pop and give me a price but just wondered what people think it may be. The builder will be fitting in a 4m steel that will sit at either end of the room and be put into the walls. The builder said he will put the steel in and then let me take the chimney breast out on the 1st floor and ground floor in my own time and then he will come back and box the steel in and make the walls good, ie plaster etc. What do people think for putting the steel work in. he says i should save a fortune on labour removing the chimney myself.
Thanks and merry xmas

Sponsored Links
wow hes getting it good. taking chimneys out is dog **** mucky work lol. " cant give you any idea on price as you havent said if you are supplying the materials or skip "s" could be more than one if your taking down 2 floors worth depending on size

I am just after a rough idea for what people think for him to put steel in and thats it. The steel is around 150+ vat, just wondered what it would be for him to put it in and ready for me to go at smashing the chimney up.

well i would have thought even though theres a bit of work to do to get the steel in correctly, its a two man job maybe 5hrs max. in this day and age man and boy no more than £36 per hour for the pair max + materials so 180 max labour +180 for the steel £20 in materials.£400 total. then bearing in mind you have your skips, and his price for coming back to board and skim hope this helps

Sponsored Links
If the bricks are decent commons, get the boy scouts to clean 'em up for you and flog 'em to a builder.
Save £££ on skips.
Or offer them to that guy on here looking for hardcore.

(Think he's in the midlands though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back