Chineese Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Therefore it has a plug on it with 2 flat pins like the one shown here
Really?

I wonder why it doesn't have an AS/NZS 3112 plug like the photo?

i know i can purchase the adaptor but is it possible just to cut the plug off and put a uk plug on it instead
Yes it's possible.

Where will you be plugging it in?

i presume cos it came from japan it has the chinese plug on it.

i will need to extend it some way beacause the water feature is about 18 feet away from house where i intend to plug it in to a socket.

But firstly knowing i can just cut off plug i may get some exterior cable and some waterproof conectors.

would that be ok or any suggestions please

i presume cos it came from japan it has the chinese plug on it.
I thought it was an Australian product.

Why does coming from Japan mean it should have a Chinese plug on it? The one in the photo could be a Chinese CPCS-CCC though.

But China also uses US Type A plugs.

Chinasocket.jpg

Anyway...

i will need to extend it some way beacause the water feature is about 18 feet away from house where i intend to plug it in to a socket.

But firstly knowing i can just cut off plug i may get some exterior cable and some waterproof conectors.
What do you mean by "external cable"?

How waterproof do the connectors need to be?

Is the socket inside the house?

Is it RCD protected?

Where will the cable run?

What will you do with the plug when it isn't plugged in?

Sponsored Links
it is almost identical to the us 2 flat pin plug

now it is going to run fom a socket in consevetory via a plug in rcd unit through a hole in the wall.Then to the pump about 18foot up the garden to the water feature.
I am going to use some armoured waterproof cable from house to the cable on the pump and look at some way to make a waterproof gonnection.between the 2 cables the cable will be up against our gravel board fencing under about 3 inch of pebbles but on top of the weed suppresent material.

there will be no traffic over the cable etc and no disturbance

now it is going to run fom a socket in consevetory via a plug in rcd unit through a hole in the wall.
That is a really cheap, nasty, tacky bodge.

I am going to use some armoured waterproof cable from house to the cable on the pump
Won't work - there's no way to terminate SWA in a plug.

and look at some way to make a waterproof gonnection.between the 2 cables
A waterproof box which can take a SWA gland and a compression gland, keep it off the ground, have the glands at the bottom and have the pump flex running downwards, or with a drip loop, drill a drain hole in the bottom of the box.

the cable will be up against our gravel board fencing under about 3 inch of pebbles but on top of the weed suppresent material.
Not deep enough, and you should have a warning tape above it.

And the whole thing is a permanent installation - being plugged in doesn't affect that, so you'll need to apply for Building Regulations approval before you start.

Just confirm that it is a 240v model as Japan uses 100v. You may get a very fast jet of water :)

Follow BASs' advice on installation.

The item was from ebay and shipped from japan.

Why - when there are dozens of similar pond pumps available in the UK, all of which would be supplied with the correct plug already fitted and no doubts over the voltage / warranty etc. ?

The item was from ebay and shipped from japan.

Why - when there are dozens of similar pond pumps available in the UK, all of which would be supplied with the correct plug already fitted and no doubts over the voltage / warranty etc. ?
Because Ebay is cheaper, and the aquatics centres in this country apply vast markups to their products?

Anyway, that aside, I'd still visit an aquatics centre for anything like this, as the service is usually very good at these places, and you will get very good aftersales. Also there is no doubt as to the quality of products here. Dont want a 230 volt pump 3 foot under, electrifying several hundred gallons of water in my back garden with kiddies running about. :rolleyes:

7 watts is hopeless. My pump is 55 watts and chucks out a healthy gush. Any water feature worth having should have one of these. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back