chipping ps2 now illegal

I must be missing the point here. Aren't computer games, well... games? You know... for children? You do all know that they're not real life, don't you?

Sponsored Links
On the issue of copyright being a good thing, wasn't the reason that microsoft did so well was that IBM when they started out making PCs, let other people clone them and therefore they became the dominant computer in the workplace even though Apple had the better system. Surely letting people distribute your product more widely (within limits) is good for your company after all there will be some products that they would need to get from the parent company?

Yes, but you can't copyright a turing machine, or any other physical device other than a distinctive 3D image, or a distinctive smell (i.e. the smell of lynx is copyright, as is the smell of gas)...
The BIOS was originally copyright and it was up to Compaq, American Megatrends, Award, Phoenix, etc. to emulate this.

That said, they could have PATENTED it, which they didn't.

Things that I think should not be copyrightable:

-ICs (the die is often copyright)
-Genetic Code
- 3D shapes

Things I think should not be patentable, which are:

- Software devices
- Medicines
-Various other chemical processes
- Probably much more

---

I tend to subscribe to a mixture of Richard Stallman's philosophy on copyright, and then some slightly more traditional views also. Copyright should only be their to encourage innovation amongst the people.

dingbat said:
I must be missing the point here. Aren't computer games, well... games? You know... for children? You do all know that they're not real life, don't you?

Well, why are there 18-rated games? Doom 3, which came out this week I believe, is 18 rated for a start.

The most lucrative sector of the computer games market is the young professional male. I am the only young professional male I know who doesn't own a console. I buy PC games instead :LOL:

AdamW said:
Well, why are there 18-rated games?
I'm not talking about the legal status of adult. Computer games are for children, whatever their age.
AdamW said:
The most lucrative sector of the computer games market is the young professional male.
See? You make my point for me!! :D

It's a bit like aromatherapy, sci-fi and religion... sooner or later you just have to wake up, get a grip and move on...

Sponsored Links
Back