Choosing monobloc tap for kitchen sink - ours is dreadful !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks
Our current monobloc kitchen tap is designed so the hot water is directed down a small separate plastic tube within the spout. For this reason it comes out with great pressure and splashes everywhere. If you turn it down to reduce the splashing the water just piddles out as it's such a small outlet. And the cold does not run in a smooth stream, presumably because of this tube in the way.
I mentioned this to a plumber who did some work for us a while ago and he said that all cheaper monobloc taps were designed like this as they were cheap to manufacture as there was no mixing valve to engineer.
Is he right? - and can anyone recommend a decent brand tap we could replace ours with which is not built like this? I can't see how to tell from a catalogue the type of construction used.

Sponsored Links
most sink monoblocks are like this try to find one with an airiator

Go for a Grohe sink mixer tap. Not as expensive as they used to be. They come with an Aerator/Flowrestrictor at the end of spout, which are also easy to clean or replace. The Aerator will give a nice smooth flow of around 7 litres per minute. Buy online and you will get one that's stylish for around £70. That also have a decent guarantee!

pull the core out! done it on a few kitchen taps. remove the swan neck head of the tap (usually a small screw at the base and round the back) and look down it.you'll see a small bore tube which can be removed with some small pliers- you may have to remove the nozzle of the tap too- and reassemble the tap. and enjoy...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help guys. I see that Grohe prices go from high to stratospheric, but if they're quality then fair enough.
Duffin - if you can just pull out the inner tube then why's it put there in the first place ?? Any ideas ?? Maybe it's put there just to annoy people :)

It's there so that the hot water cannot get into the cold pipe and get into the potable/wholesome water supply. Most mixers are either like yours or have a cast dual-spout so the hot and cold actually mix out in the open, after they've left the spout.

Charnwood - Thanks for this advice - I should have guessed that water regs would make an appearance somewhere, they often do.
Squeaky - I'll check out Franke taps as well. Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back