Chrome face plates and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i'm changing all the sockets to chrome face plates, now the sockets are straight forward as they are earthed anyway. Now the lgith swicthes have an earth screw on the plate, now the plastic ones i'm taking off dont have this.

Now i have put an additional green/yellow sleeved earth wire from the faceplate to the earth terminal in the box. - Is this ok?

What do i do when the box is plastic, some of them dont have a earth plug, what do i do here.

Any ideas, and is the face plate safe?

Sponsored Links
Even with a plastic back box (flush i assume), you will have an earth there (unless your wiring is VERY old).

Yes, use a length of earth wire from the box to the plate, if the box is plastic, put the earth directly onto the plate.

Dont install chrome kit onto moulded surface boxes, it looks cr*p. Flush a new box in.

i think JordanBlack means when there is a plastic box in the wall (say a dry lined box) that has no earth, as most boxes should but not all do.

In this case i would suggest connect the incoming earth wire to the earth terminal on the back of the metal switch earth terminal (if fitted) if not put it in a choc bloc as one day you may change the back box for a metal one. and of course do put earth sleaving on it. (the earth wire that is)

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i think JordanBlack means when there is a plastic box in the wall (say a dry lined box) that has no earth, as most boxes should but not all do.
Seems a common feature with dry-lining boxes - why don't they have earth terminals?

Breezer - will you bring me back some of that Peruvian snuff....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back