Circulating network currents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I have been carrying out a PIR at a branch of a well known convenience shop company.

In the switchroom I found an old 100A TP head which had clearly been too small to supply the premisis, so by the looks of things a new supply has been put into the building about 2 - 3 yeary ago.

The new supply is a 250A per phase TP supply with TN-C-S earthing.

The old supply which is still live (The fuses have been pulled but the supply is still there) was a TN-S supply

The two different earthing types have ended up connected together, and when I put my clamp meter on the earth there is a current flow of about 4 amps :eek:

This entirely dissapears when the two earth supplies are seperated, and yet no potential exists between the two supplies when seperate.

Is this something to do with parallel earth paths?

Old supply:
supply1.jpg

New supply:
supply2.jpg

Sponsored Links
To remove any confusion my clamp meter is definatly reading 4A, It is just the scale is strange with it being on an AC volts setting

Clampmeter.jpg

RF Lighting said:
Today I have been carrying out a PIR at a branch of a well known convenience shop company.

I hope Crafty made you a mug of tea.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
RF Lighting said:

I hope Crafty made you a mug of tea.
JohnD, you're alarmingly close! I have spoken to Rob and it is the same company I work for :eek: :LOL:

Good old paralll paths...

Ever shorted N to E on a well loaded TN-S near the origin? Try that!!

RF Lighting said:
This entirely dissapears when the two earth supplies are seperated, and yet no potential exists between the two supplies when seperate.
If current flows there must be a potential.

It just doesn't take a very big potential to shove 4A down a short peice of copper wire ;).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back