Citroen Nemo Brake Shoe Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to change the brake shoes on my Citroen Nemo and was hoping for a little advice.

I've changed the brake shoes on all my previous cars, but this is the first time with this Citroen.

Is it easy to remove the rear axle nut? Is it a staked nut or held in place by a pin or similar?

Do the drums usually come off easily, maybe with a few taps from a hammer?

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Robin

Sponsored Links
The nuts are most likely to be flanged Nyloc .....I haven't seen a staked one for a bit!
No worries, whatever they are, wind them off anticlockwise, and then bray the drum with a hammer as you try to turn and pull it at the same time. Some vehicles, depending on weight, have a drum that's separate from the hub.
It's a bit soon for new shoes - or is the van older than I think?
John :)

Thanks for your reply

One of the drums is squealing a little so I presumed the shoe was worn, but the van has only done 38K and the handbrake only needs 2 clicks for a good lock, so maybe the shoes are OK.

Can anything else cause them to squeal other than wear?

I suppose the best answer is to take off the drum and take a look!

Robin :)

If you're sure the noise is from the back Robin, its just a build up of dust in the drums so pop them off for a clean. Personally I use a great blast of compressed air (out in the open) but there are brake cleaning aerosols for this.
Give all of the shoe pivot points a drop of oil, where you can.....I'd be very surprised if there's any visible wear at all!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I've got this wrong or its for this specific vehicle but I don't remember having to remove the hub nut to remove drums. The hub is secured to the axle and the drum is kept in place by the wheel securing bolts wheel to hub. And of course the shoes will be slightly out of center which is where the hammer comes in.

It depends on the weight of the vehicle but as a general rule, van drums are separate from the hub, cars are integral.
Either way, its much easier to replace the shoes with the hub out of the way.

Back