Citroen Synergie 2.0 HDI Gearbox Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have a 51 2.0 HDI citroen synergie that has started to leak gearbox extensively.

We have located the leak to be coming from the join in the gearbox that runs down the side of the turbo pipe...

Its still selecting gears ok its just the extensive oil loss. (all happened after a run back from torquay to the midlands using the cruise control)

is it just the gasket that needs replacing or something more sinister.. also does anyone know how to refill the gearbox oil on this car..

thank you in advance

Bec n Wayne

Sponsored Links
Good evening becnwayne
I hope you don't think I'm being patronising here but I suspect that your gearbox isn't actually leaking oil - more likely the leak is from elsewhere.
First - gearbox oil leaks come from where the drive shafts enter the gearbox...the oil will be clean and the leak will be slight.
Next, there is a possibility that the box is leaking where the gearbox joins the engine...again the oil will be clean and the oil leak negligible at first.
Although its difficult to ascertain where the leak is coming from without seeing the car, I suspect that the oil is coming from the turbocharger. Fixed to the exhaust pipe, this device relies on a pressurised feed of engine oil to keep it spinning well....oil returns back to the engine sump via a metal pipe - it is not under pressure at this point. If this pipe develops a leak, then the oil loss is considerable and the oil tends to be black. I suspect that this is where the leak is coming from.
John :)

The oil we are loosing is clean oil and not engine oil...

my hubby has taken the flywheel cover off and the oil is dripping from in there..... its def gearbox oil as its that smell... it was only a slight drip to start with then it turned into a massive leak when it was put into reverse to pull onto our drive...

thanks again
bec n wayne

Hmmm thats very bad news and most unusual.
Naturally there is an oil seal between the gearbox input shaft and the gearbox casing, but catastrophic failure such as this is very rare.
I imagine there could be a bearing collapse, allowing the oil seal to distort so far.
Very bad luck I'm afraid - once you are certain its a gearbox problem you should be able to get a second hand one from a breakers without too much trouble.
John

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your help... We are now looking on getting a second hand gearbox for the car... there was no rattling or strange noises but it was just starting to crunch into reverse slightly.
the car still engaging gears ok... most unusual but oh well....

I do hope things go well for you......take this opportunity to renew the clutch though - dead simple with the gearbox off.
John :)

yes we have been told as the clutch has gearbox oil in it we need to replace it anyway..

thank you once again and we will let you know of the outcome once we have it sorted...

sorry to read your bad news about your car,but do check out parts suppliers/breakers for the fiat Ulysse and Peugeot's 806 as these are essentially the same clone as yours,no doubt prices will vary between dealers etc.

Sponsored Links
Back