Classic bath tap with severe low flow rate problem

Those flow figures will be under optimum conditions and not with a gravity fed system with the shower head another 1500mm in the air.

If you want a better shower with your current situation then either change to mains pressure hot and cold or pump the current supplies would be the only feasible options.

Sponsored Links
I don't get why a water tank has been put into this house considering it is not and old build, I believe in 2005 there were better systems than this? I have one bathroom with hot water coming from the gravity system, and an ensuite with an electric shower which actually works well, it must have an internal pump or something as the pressure is good. I just don't get it why it was not done with regular hot water from the gravity system to the ensuite as well. Such a weird setup that I have, and clearly doesn't work well.

Getting the mains to feed cold and hot water system means I need to change the boiler to a combi model, right? I wonder if them all piping would need to be changed due to 1.5bar coming from the road?

Is feasible to pump hot and cold water in a system like mine or too much hassle in your opinion? Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated!

Very feasible to pump hot and cold, just need to ensure your cold cistern and hot water cylinder has the capacity. You did mentioned your other leccy shower is good though, so may be a power shower and that may also be an option if all you want is a more powerful shower in the other bathroom.

you could always go to unvented hot water and mains cold but that's dependent on the mains supply being a suitable pressure and flow. You mentioned 1.5bar and 15L/min?

You need magic taps,
available from alchemy.com!

Nah... just messing wid ya.
They’re on the same website as pipeless-water appliances.

Sponsored Links
Those flow figures will be under optimum conditions and not with a gravity fed system with the shower head another 1500mm in the air.
Any sales literature which states flow figures are just a guide and maybe composed by the VW emission gurus :p.

With the further information supplied,it seems in your situation :cautious: the mixer tap with a spray attachment is not suitable for showering and has a restrictive left/right diverter which saps water flow/pressure to the tap spout. Your existing mixer is for high pressure,you have low pressure maybe some numpty fitted the tap (y).

If you really want a shower consider an independently pumped shower or electric heated shower there are many options available and fit better bath mixer,The 'bristan value club bath filler', with full turn handles (not CD) its a basic no frills mixer tap and suitable for traditional uk gravity flow.

good luck (y)

Very feasible to pump hot and cold, just need to ensure your cold cistern and hot water cylinder has the capacity. You did mentioned your other leccy shower is good though, so may be a power shower and that may also be an option if all you want is a more powerful shower in the other bathroom.

you could always go to unvented hot water and mains cold but that's dependent on the mains supply being a suitable pressure and flow. You mentioned 1.5bar and 15L/min?

Yep the other room has power shower indeed and works well but also heavy on electricity bill. My mains is 2.5 bar and the pipe seems to be around 20mm from the road but after the main valve it goes down to around 15mm , standard copper pipe size I can see across the whole house for hot and cold water. I would convert my electric shower to gas If I can.

You need magic taps,
available from alchemy.com!

Nah... just messing wid ya.
They’re on the same website as pipeless-water appliances.

Sorry, but from where?

Any sales literature which states flow figures are just a guide and maybe composed by the VW emission gurus :p.

With the further information supplied,it seems in your situation :cautious: the mixer tap with a spray attachment is not suitable for showering and has a restrictive left/right diverter which saps water flow/pressure to the tap spout. Your existing mixer is for high pressure,you have low pressure maybe some numpty fitted the tap (y).

If you really want a shower consider an independently pumped shower or electric heated shower there are many options available and fit better bath mixer,The 'bristan value club bath filler', with full turn handles (not CD) its a basic no frills mixer tap and suitable for traditional uk gravity flow.

good luck (y)

I think I can't get away from a pump as the gravity in my case is the hot tank at the same level or actually even a bit lower than the shower head. The cold tank is above in the attic but still pressure/flow doesn't improve much.

It is quite frustrating for a new build to be using such a medieval system. Anyway time to research about how I can get a pump fitter for now and eventually get a new boiler in place with mains pressure all over the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back