Cleaning Indian stone

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

It's not actually in my garden, but this seemed like the best place to ask!

I've got a dark grey Indian stone slab as a hearth, but it's gone very pale in places due to plaster dust, and seems to have been stained by soot in others.

Can anyone recommend how to thoroughly clean it and prevent it happening again.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush brings it up and make sure you seal it when dry.

You can can attachment heads for jet wash lances that minimise the amount of side spray; they look like a cowl under which a rotating spray bar is found. If you have a helper wielding a wet vacuum cleaner (or even just two hands if you're able and willing to coordinate running the two machines at the same time) and a decent towel barrier you should be able to jet wash it without making significant mess elsewhere (but it would be worth pulling back any adjacent carpet)

Sponsored Links
Should it have been sealed before it was used?
Even so, in the installation location it currently is it would attract the same amount of embedded dirt. Sealing it wouldn't significantly reduce the surface roughness into which the ash and plaster has settled. If you want to make it a wipe clean surface for future you'll need a finer filler, possibly an epoxy resin, but check how hot the surface of the stone gets when you run the fire and ensure that any surface treatment can cope with the temperature rise

After you have it clean, use waterglass to seal it, that will cope with the temperature. Often you find "cement sealer" is actually waterglass as the main ingredient. It puts a semi-glass seal to the stone and will flatten it a lot so that it should wipe clean better.

Ok, an update... I've given it a good scrub with soapy water, rinsed it repeatedly and used my workshop vac to suck up the dirty water so it didn't just get absorbed back into the stone.

I thought I'd take a punt and have go at polishing it, so I used some slightly abrasive car polish (!) on a area which will be covered by the fake chimney breast! Seems to have come up much darker and better, so now I'm thinking about doing the whole thing, but I'd rather polish with something specifically intended for the job... Anyone got any products they can recommend?

Aim is to get it looking consistent and then seal it as suggested above.

On another thread on here someone mentioned these for a similar job:
I am sure you can work out how smooth you need it to be, too smooth and it will show chips and scratches too easily, too coarse and the dust sticks in there.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back