cleaning old roof timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am fortunate to have a sound 200 year old roof complete with an excellent condition oak and baltic pine structure, great original workmanship. However, I will be using the roofspace as habitable accommodation when it has been restored, and here is the question;

The timbers are grimy with dust, dirt and grease (the building is an ex- watermill), and I would like to clean them without resorting to sand blasting. Does anyone know of a brew which might make cleaning/scrubbing them easier, and how about finishing the wood, is beeswax/turps the best option? Any tips?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would just try a dry, stiff scrubbing brush and a vacuum cleaner to start with. Once that's done you might, with luck not need to do anything more. You will have seen otherwise untreated timbers in buildings which look fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back