Cleaning Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have all the rads off in my currently, all the rad valves are shut (100% positive shut off valves).

How can I flush through my pipes? Can I connect a hose to the drain cock and push water through the pipes by the filling loop until it runs clean?

If not are there any ways of doing this?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes - open one rad at a time and run water until it runs clear, then close this rad and repeat with each rad, one at a time.

Don't forget to add inhibitor when you come to refill the system and get it up and running.

Edit - oops, helps if I read your post fully. Is the drain valve on the same pipe as you filling loop?

Drain cock in on a feed pipe on the lowest rad in the house by the front door.

Problem I've got in my mind (which may be misguided - I await derision from others) is that the water will have to flush through via the boiler; and hence through valves and an unmoving pump; instead of an alternative route. If it were me, I think I'd rehang the rads after flushing them out in the garden with a hose and follow my previous advice.

If you don't do this, there'll still be some gunk in the tails and rad valves.

Sponsored Links
It's unclear as to whether your rads are turned off or actually off the system (as in disconnected).
I think your best course of action would be to connect the hose to each of the rad valves in turn and flush through until each runs clear.

It's unclear as to whether your rads are turned off or actually off the system (as in disconnected).
I think your best course of action would be to connect the hose to each of the rad valves in turn and flush through until each runs clear.

Good point. For some reason I read it as the rads were physically off the walls.

sorry, the rads are off the wall two tails sticking up out of the floor with both valves closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back