Cleaning slate tiles on the roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The slates on the roof are covered in algae and moss on one side. I have been sold some Algae Clean (made by Kilwaughter) which is described on the label as a "wash"

In the absence of instructions on the tub, do I dilute it and water onto the roof, then let it dry? It says no scrubbing, but I just wanted to make sure I do it right as I dont want to get onto the roof more often than I need to!

Sponsored Links
Why introduce more chemicals into the environment? Using a hose pipe - preferably with a spray - and a broom on a long shaft/pole arrangement simply brush the stuff off.

Clean the gutters as you go.

Typically, it will return in time because of the local conditions that caused it in the first place.

Because standing on a ladder brushing is a even less safe than standing on a ladder spraying.

But I appreciate the advice.

You do not even approach a ladder unless its tied-in at the top and footed at the bottom, this is esp true for a DIY'er.

No one but a fool would mount a ladder and spray or brush, or do anything else, unless the above applied.

Sponsored Links
If you wish to stop it coming back get some copper wire and run it just below the ridge. The rain will cause it to corrode over time forming small amounts of copper sulphate which will then helpfully kill any moss and algae that tries to grow.

You do not even approach a ladder unless its tied-in at the top and footed at the bottom
How do you tie it at the top without approaching it? :confused:

Wonderful H&S advice but totally impractical on so many levels.

Could you imagine how much a window cleaning round would increase in costs if this were implemented?

Or how much it would cost to clip in a gutter bracket?

I prefer to use common sense. Whilst there are some things I would not do on a ladder unless it was securely footed there are other things I would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back