Clevo laptop HDD upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Selling my old M57A laptop to my nephew because it was getting on my nerves..

kept crashing randomly... BSOD crashes.. not just hanging..

it needs a new HDD since I think it was this causing the crashes..

currently has 80GB HDD, SATA150. what's the max it can go up to? is there a limit besides physical size?

the company I bought it from went bust a few years back so I was struggling to get drivers for it..

recently found out that it's a generic system that many companies sell... so I've found alternative sites for drivers and such..

Sponsored Links
yeah, cost me about £1200 here...

nephews getting it for £200... bargain... :)

I saw that site, but I was thinking that the 120GB was just what was available as a "standard" package...

thought that there might not be a limit as long as it physically fit and was SATA150.. ?
was gonna go for a 250 for him.. there's only about a tenner in it price wise.. ah well 120 it is then..

TA..

If you can get a 250GB the same size that will fit, it should work OK.

I only mentioned the 120 because it would accomodate that size HD.

Motherboards have limits on RAM not storage hard drives. So long as it is formatted as NTFS then Windows won't have a problem.

dave

Sponsored Links
went for a 120 in the end..
ordered tuesday at about 14:45, paid for "3 lite - 3 day delivery for parcels under 1Kg", was woken up at 07:42 by the delivery guy this morning.. very impressed with the delivery time..

tried to install the OS.. got BSOD from the windows XP MCE disc..
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

was getting the same when I tried to blank the old disc and thought it was the disc..

have now got it to work by removing one of the mem modules ( are they SODIMMS? or something? )

now trying to run on 512Mb ram... looks like buying some more memory for him..

might have been the memory all along? the random crashes?

might have been the memory all along? the random crashes?

More than likely... memory is one of the prime hardware suspects for random crashes (along with the PSU)

You can get diagnostic programs that test each memory location

Hard disk drive problems usually manifest themselves as corrupt files (often show up when windows is trying to start), funny noises, smart dianostic warnings, etc

Back