Click-laminate kitchen floor - should I seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just laid tile-effect click laminate flooring in my kitchen and very nice it looks too. However, I didn't think to add sealant to the interlocking bits (there was nothing in the instructions about this) - do you think the joints between panels will be sufficient to resist damaging water ingress?

Sponsored Links
Click-systems don't require glueing/sealing.
On the package/instructions was it mentioned that this type of laminate is suitable for moist areas (like kitchens, bathrooms)?
If so, than applying any sealant will render the manufacturers warrantee useless (i.e. not installing products according to instructions by adding something)

The packaging said the flooring was suitable for kitchens. The only reason I am now concerned is that my friend laid a click laminate floor (different manufacturer) in his kitchen, and the supplier recommended that, as the floor was being laid in a high moisture area, he apply a special sealant to the bits that interlock before clicking panels into place.

Juno 60 said:
The only reason I am now concerned is that my friend laid a click laminate floor (different manufacturer)

I think the answer is above, your product probably didn't need to have this done. The only people who will have the answer are the people who made the product. Give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Spicken der Deutsche? ;)

Good idea nstreet, although I might send the German manufacturers an email first. Thanks to both of you for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back