Clicking/Noisy Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a couple of noisy pipes in our attic, that seem to make a noise once we turn on the hot water tap in the main bathroom or en suite - they start making "clicking" noises after about 30 seconds, with the clicking noise getting rapidly fast i.e. very frequent, before tapering off and slowing down, but with the clicking often present 30 mins after the tap has been turned off.

I attach some pictures below re one of the offending pipes.

What is the best way to isolate this sound?

When I was up in the attic the clicking noise seemed to stop when I held the (large brown part of the) pipe still (although when I wasn't holding it its not as if it was visibly moving; however it was possible to also move the pipe a good few cm left and right).

Is this normal (our property is a relatively new build, built in 2006 Kier Homes breezeblock/timber frame)?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
It is the heat causing expansion. The noise is the pipe rubbing against something. Find tat point and try stuffing a j-cloth between it and the pipe.

It is the heat causing expansion. The noise is the pipe rubbing against something. Find tat point and try stuffing a j-cloth between it and the pipe.

Thanks.

Is the large brown pipe got a load of smaller pipes inside it? Or does the water fill up all of the brown pipe?

Also, why does the pipe connect to the roof?

It's for venting the drainage system to the outside. One pipe, nothing inside it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's probably creaking against the timber in your photo, or maybe at the bottom where it goes through the floor.

Have investigated a bit further and we put a jay-cloth down at the point where the pipe enters the attic floor to the ceiling in the bathroom below (it actually is part of the entire soil pipe on that side of the house).

The jaycloth didn't stop the clicking - instead, holding the pipe very steady about 2/3rds of the way up (see red circle in pic below) stops the noise.

As a temporary measure, I've stuffed some spare loft insulation around the base of the pipe to about a third of the way up and this seems to act like a buffer that reduces the noise significantly, but doesn't completely eliminate it.

I think we need a brace to hold the pipe about 2/3rds of the way up (probably at the red circled point in the pic above) - but am not entirely sure. Who should we employ to do this - a joiner or plumber?

++++++++++++++++++++++

Also, on the other side of the house, we have exactly the same problem - large brown pipe in attic, running right down the other side of the house (soil pipe) which is for the en-suite bathroom.

I've done exactly the same to this pipe - stuffed insulation around the base to about a third of the way up. This pipe also needs presumably needs braced (in a similar manner to the pipe described above), but the the clicking from this pipe also seems to run down the entire length of the soil pipe in the en-suite bathroom (see photo, red circled - soil pipe sits behind this part of the wall), so it must be vibrating against something in there too.

Again, who should we employ to get us access to this pipe behind the wall circled in red above - joiner or plumber?

Try pouring some liquid soap on the joint seal to lubricate it, not washing up liquid thouugh as it can be corrosive on the rubber seal.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back