Clicking piepes continue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if you could help me. We recently add radiator into a bathroom and when we start have heating on we noticed a loud banging noise from the pipes. The noise sounds like pipes "twanging" and banging. This banging occur from a start when the CH comes on and when cooling down. The noise we are experiencing upstairs of the house

The Boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 255i/30Si
The CH and hot water do work fine and heat up quickly, (it does not make any noise when the radiators hot).
What we did:
-We insulated around the pipes so they sit tight
-We did bled the radiators
-when we drop the pressure from 2 to 1.5 bar the noise comes but took it longer to get the noise, a ticking noise (I assume expansion) and every now on loud bang from pipes
-sometimes when we turning the radiator valves from ( max to *) we get loud click , that happened upstairs and downstairs of valves
-couple times when we had air comes from a radiator even we did bled the radiators before

Few days ago we took a floor board out to insulated the pipes around and where they touch the main cold water pipes.pressure stayed 1,2 bar
It was sounds that the noise was more quitet and less you could hear it. after 20 minut the noise come back but it was not loud as before.

The banging only appearing upstairs.
We tried to take thermostatic head off to see if that help but ididn't help, the click still continue.
The click sound comes more often just when we turn the heating on, after while the bang comes ones every 20 second, then 5 second, 20 second until the radiators reach high temp.

In the bathroom I noticed air in radiator, i bled it every week.

Can anyone help?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Sponsored Links
The noise is probably pipes not having freedom to move as they expand and contract with changes in water temperature.

A straight length of pipe clamped tightly in pipe supports at two points will try to move through one or both of the supports and this can result in clicking and "twangy" noises

Is anything to do with the air coming back in bathroom radiator?thanks

Sponsored Links
Is anything to do with the air coming back in bathroom radiator?thanks
No. As above, it is noise caused by thermal expansion/contraction of pipework. IIRC copper tube extends by about 1mm per metre over domestic heat range, if it can move freely then it'll be silent, if it can't move freely it'll be noisy.

That's when hair felt would be used to avoid pipes rubbing on any wood and the pipes should be properly spaced so they don't rub against each other.

I wonder if you could help me. We recently add radiator into a bathroom and when we start have heating on we noticed a loud banging noise from the pipes. The noise sounds like pipes "twanging" and banging. This banging occur from a start when the CH comes on and when cooling down. The noise we are experiencing upstairs of the house

Pipes, which are trapped, or held too tightly, as they expand and contract, as the heating comes on, and goes of as the cool.

Find out where they are trapped too tightly, and give them more freedom to move, but some noise is unavoidable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back