Close Coupled or Concealed Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm slowly converting a garage to a utility and downstairs loo. Everything so far has been DIY, although electrics will need signing off by a Spark.

It's not a huge space (loo is approx 120cm x 70cm) so want a fairly compact loo, although door is opening outwards.

I've built a false wall (floor to ceiling) on the left of that door (out of shot), to hide soil pipe, some plumbing, cabling etc. There is 20cm behind there, so can easily fit a concealed cistern, and this would allow more space.

I'm just concerned about access if it needs repair/maintenance. Creating an access panel (probably tiled hardiebacker with hidden joins...?) , makes things a fair bit more complex to do than just a false plasterboard wall with pipes coming through. Do most people include access or do they just board it up and hope than it never needs more maintenance than the things you can do through the flush plate?

I'm pretty confident I can install the Close Coupled version, just not 100% on the concealed having never done one before.

IMG_1132.JPEG

Sponsored Links
If you conceal plumbing, then you have the pleasure of smashing tiles and breaking open walls when it goes wrong.

And because it is out of sight, the damage from leaks will be much worse before you notice it

Incidentally, the same applies to shower mixers and their pipes when buried in a wall.

There are even people who like to glue or tile in bath panels.

Where is your extractor fan?

Extractor will be through that same false wall at the back of the loo (left wall in photo) , through to an outside wall. Tumble Drier vented as well. Also plan to fit a small dehumidifier for drying washing.

I’ve seen both totally concealed plumbing (not recommended) and concealed with access panels, providing there’s enough access for maintenance then shouldn’t be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Not anything to do with your post except you said " Everything so far has been DIY, although electrics will need signing off by a Spark." I don't think you will find it that simple, if there is notifiable work been done that is.

Not anything to do with your post except you said " Everything so far has been DIY, although electrics will need signing off by a Spark." I don't think you will find it that simple, if there is notifiable work been done that is.

My neighbour is a qualified electrician, so he's been baby sitting me along the way. I've been a glorified cable monkey to be honest.

I appreciate if I asked a random spark from checkatrade to sign off something they hadn't seen from the beginning, I'd likely be struggling.

My neighbour is a qualified electrician, so he's been baby sitting me along the way.
The routing of the cables over the door looks dubious. Does your neighbour consider them to be in a ( so called ) "safe zone"

In this context a "safe zone" is where cables can be expected to be found and hence not a safe zone when drilling into the wall.

Builder did that prior to me. Going to be moved higher and then a box section built, as well. There's nothing to clip to due to the the box lintel, so they are just pushed under the frame, until I get to that bit. They will be moved up. Thanks for your thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back