Clunking Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a real problem with our upstairs bathroom sink tap. Every time we turn it on and it starts to get hot water through it, it starts clunking really fiercely and the water comes out in spurts. If you turn the tap slightly either way it stops at clunking. We are running off a Worcester Combi boiler with pressure at approximately one bar and every other tap in the house seems to be okay. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what this could be? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you are confident to dismantle the tap and fit a new rubber washer, that'll probably sort it.....the washer is sticking down a bit as its spread with age, water pressure blows it off its seat and starts it vibrating. (A new jumper - that's the bit the washer fixes to - may also help but I doubt if they are available so try the washer first.)
Matter of interest - the boiler pressure relates to the central heating circuit - not the domestic hot water.
John :)

Thanks for your response. I don't think I'm up to it... Don't like messing with water... Any idea how much it should cost to get the washer changed?
Thanks

If it's a typical tap - that is, not one of the quarter turn ones - then the call out fee will probably be more than the repair! From time to time, lime scale can give real grief trying to get the thing apart.
However - the tap will need to be isolated, either at the main stopcock or it could have its own isolator, very close to the tap.
Can you post a pic of the tap?

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It is a typical tap - photo of tap and pipes under sink attached - no obvious valve though???

You see that earth cable connection onto the copper? The isolator is just below....you turn that slotted screw 90 degrees to shut the water off.
There's no guarantee that there wont be a drip afterwards though.....it looks a bit crumbly! You won't get a flood anyway.
The tap is a breeze.....you have to stop it turning at the basin, but the insert will just unscrew revealing the washer on the end.

Back