clutch judder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - just had a brand new clutch fitted (pressure plate, clutch and bearing) on my peugeot 406 hdi...about 3 weeks ago.....i get clutch judder when im moving off in 1st gear and reverse gear...seems to be less when the car gets warm...told the mechanic, he said give it a few weeks to see if it beds in...any ideas what is causing this ?....ta

Sponsored Links
There are various possible causes:

. oil/grease on clutch linings;
. loose plate bolts;
. worn engine or gearbox mount.

IMHO it's nonsense to say that it might bed in. However, if it's better when warm then quite possibly it's the first of the above and the mechanic is hoping that it will abrade/burn off quite quickly. If you ride the clutch for a few seconds while driving in top gear on a straight empty road, you might find this hastens the process. You might have to do this more than once, but let the clutch cool down in between times.

Agree with softus on the contaminated lining.

I had a one off, many yrs ago, took ages to find it, involved the box coming back off, no oil, on the lining, nothing,proper stumped.

picked up the clutch plate again to ultra examine, and in between the lining and it's steel setting, you have a little piece of spring steel under each rivet similar to this shape...> or, )... going right round the plate,except, instead of one piece, the machine had put two pieces in under one of the rivets.

As i said, a one off, never even heard of it since.

Please take the time and let us know the results as we have tried to help you, a lot off first timers don't bother with feedback which would help other members out, thanks.

Hopefully not this, but the last 3-4 clutch replacements we have carried out (Renaults & Nissans) have all needed replacement flywheels as well due to heat distortion. Could this be your trouble???

Sponsored Links
or the driven plate could be twisted and your mechanic can't be a*sed to replace it again.
Could also be that they didn't replace the pressure plate or that the new one has a weak spring causing it to release unevenly.
In some cases heavy handling of the gearbox can result in the bending of the shaft casuing the driven plate to stick on the splines.

Don't leave it too long otherwise it'll wreck the crankshaft oil seals with the extra vibration.

Back