coal plaster prep for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm about to remove peeling wallpaper from the interior walls of a Victorian hse.
I've been told that the walls are coal plaster, how do I recognise if this is the case and what prep do I need to complete prior to painting.

Would be grateful for any advice Thanks...................

John U

Sponsored Links
The walls are normally a greyish colour with fine black flecks and bits in the surface.

After you strip the paper give the walls a good rub down check for filling and fill where you need to, then line them...after you have done all that stripping and given the age of the walls they will probably look ropey if you paint straight on them.

If the still odnt look too clever line them again

Much obliged for the info.

Any particular primer/sealant with this type of plaster?

John.

If the walls are in reasonable condition then id just size them first before you line.

IMO the best adhesive for lining paper is LAP paste..its harder to mix but has very good bonding qualities.

If you feel it does need something over it then id go for a thinned coat of dulux stain block.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back