Cold Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conservatory that is very cold in winter. I have identified the heat loss is the roof which is polycarb.

Although heat loss through the poly carb must be quite low, the real loss is the joints particularly where the polycarb meets the sides (windows) of the conservatory as this is just a dust type seal.

I have read a few ideas but not come across what i am thinking of doing. I want to fit a suspended ceiling which is the lightweight aluminium struts and cork type tiles between with rockwool above.

Has anyone tried or know of this.?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The heat loss through both the polycarb AND the glass renders a conservatory a pointless exercise, as far as conserving heat is concerned.

They are so inefficient regards heat loss that building control will not even bother to sanction their existence as a habitable structure.

You need to enjoy it as a Summer folly only or put up with heating the atmosphere. The doors on mine are closed from October through to March.

Can you explain why you believe that the heat-loss through the poly-carbonate must be low ?

Firstly, heat loss through he polycarb is present but low compared to that which is lost at the seal between roof and sides (I can hear outside as if I am not behind a structure). I am imaging the roof like my loft which is cold also but my rooms beneath remain warm.

If I fit a suspended ceiling then this I think will prevent heat loss on both the polycarb and the seals.

I am surprised I cannot find anyone that has fitted a suspended ceiling within a conservatory and why I post this.

I agree with what 'noseall' says but I want a room to use all year round - I just wanted to explore all items (and a suspended ceiling is my best effort) prior to demolishing and the added cost of an extension etc.

Sponsored Links
Part of the 'charm' of a connie is the light admittance from the roof. I would be very surprised if i ever saw a suspended ceiling in a connie. It defies reason.

I think what you are intending doing is rather pointless. You would be better of using clear sealant as far as drafts are concerned.

If you want a warm efficient room then build an extension. Connies are little better than glorified green houses as far as heat loss is concerned.

My Conny had a ceiling like your proposing, horrid and dark in my middle room, I've now put new windows and roof on, with very high performance glass and seriously insulated walls and floor.. no poly carb as I dont like it.

When I was building connies for a living my first bit of advise was.. they will be cold in the winter and bloody hot in the summer unless you spend more on better glass and insulation, A/C etc.. funny thing was most went the cheap 'hot and cold' option. When I say hot we are talking about candles being melted.. :eek:

You may be better off seeing if your roof can take thicker poly.. and getting a quote on up rated glass.. then as Noseall says, seal the gaps..

Sound advice in both posts above.

It sounds like you have a very poorly constructed conny - A "dust seal gaps" between roof and walls ? ? :confused:

A quality conservatory with appropriate heating on while you're in there can still be very comfortable in winter.

Agree about polycarbonate - The only reason to use polycarbonate for a conservatory roof is if you can't afford a glass roof.

I love sitting in my conservatory, cold drink in hand, looking up at the stars....:cool:

hi just joined this site and saw the posts about false conservatory ceilings, i recently fitted hollow plastic tongue &groove panels to kitchen ceiling, looks good & as i had some left i have just temporarily covered 3 roof panels in con, actually effect looks ok has anyone tried this, ceiling wouldbe very light even with polyblock insulation above you would lose about 3 " allowing for air gap i also think if done right you could easily dismantle in sections for summer

I seriously wonder how much money, time and effort folks spend on a conservatory in an effort to make it behave behave like an extension?

There ought to be a sticky outlining the costs against the benefits of a conny v's an extension.

I admit that people buy houses with a conny already attached to their house and their romantic notion of an office/playroom/games-room is already established.

What i find difficult to understand is that people can not differentiate between a regulated extension and a glorified greenhouse.

It beggars belief that people are moaning that their conny is too cold or their conny is too hot etc.

Sorry about the rant. :rolleyes:

I seriously wonder how much money, time and effort folks spend on a conservatory in an effort to make it behave behave like an extension?

There ought to be a sticky outlining the costs against the benefits of a conny v's an extension.

I admit that people buy houses with a conny already attached to their house and their romantic notion of an office/playroom/games-room is already established.

What i find difficult to understand is that people can not differentiate between a regulated extension and a glorified greenhouse.

It beggars belief that people are moaning that their conny is too cold or their conny is too hot etc.

Sorry about the rant. :rolleyes:
Rant accepted as far as I’m concerned & totally in agreement. Folks just don’t seem to understand the limitations of a conservatory or what they are all about; they are cheap for a very good reason but perfectly suitable for what they were intended for, summer use only. Problems only arise when the misguided want something more for nothing & try to create a silk purse from a sows ear. Whatsisname with the plaster board cons ceilings but comletely ignoring the heat loss through the windows, this has been the subject of debate on here before & has a lot to answer for with regards these old threads cropping up for the same reason.

IF YOU WANT TO USE THE ROOM ALL YEAR AROUND, BUILD A GARDEN ROOM OR AN EXTENSION, NOT A CONSERVATORY!

I’m not volunteering in this case but I’ve still not worked out how you actually write a sticky on this site! :confused:

I cannot see why some many posters seem to be against a suspended ceiling in a conservatory.
We have had our conservatory for 6 or 7 years now and I want a change. We are about to decorate the rest of the house and want to jolly up the conservatory. Ours is quite a large conservatory and I want to add a suspended ceiling - Yes, it will look more like a normal room, but not from the outside (from outside everything will look the same).
Temperature-wise doesn't really come into it (although if it keeps it warmer in winter, that's even better). Personally, we use ours in the winter with a heater. It is just I have grown tired of the big vaulted ceiling and would like it to look more "normal" but I do not want to go through all the bother of having it knocked down to build a "proper" extension as most posters seem to suggest.
I have found a company in York who do insulated ceilings but these again follow the line of the existing vaulted roof whereas I would now prefer one which follows normal ceiling lines. Surely someone should be offering them as, the fact that this has become a form topic, indicates there is some interest.

Surely someone should be offering them as the fact that this has become a form topic, indicates there is some interest

Well babs, if you look , you will find lots of people who want extensions built for 5K or loft-rooms built on 2" joists. This goes to show that there is a lot of interest in things that are not realistic and they certainly do not become more realistic just because some people really, really want them.

Your interest may or may not fall into this bracket.

Ours is a large conservatory true - it runs almost the whole of the back of the house. I am not really after another room (i.e. extension) as there are now only the two of us in a 4 bedroom house - it is not an extension I am after, merely a change in look (internally) i.e. just like decorating (snd changing the internal appearance) of any roo in a house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back