Cold downstairs rads. Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

This is the first time I have posted and I really need your help. We have a 'mexico' boiler in the attic and a Myson pump weither fitted by ourselves but serviced a year ago. We have a number of rads in the bedrooms and kitchen etc but first the downstairs cloakroom one went cold and now the one in the hall. I have checked the TVRs and bled all the rads. Still cold. There is a drain valve on the WC rad which I used and after taking off some of the water the pipe to the LSV did get warm and the rad started heating up but is now cold again. How can I get them to heat up? Does the system need rebalancing? The upstairs rads are toasty.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Does the system need rebalancing?
It would appear so. Closing down the rads that work should result in flow to others. If not you may have a blockage from heavy sludge.

Sponsored Links
Right I have turned off the upstairs rads and will see what happens.

If it is sludge what would it look like and could I drain it off myself via the drain value in the WC? Would that explain the fact the radiators seem to be dropping off in sequence?

Thanks.

i just come across a blocked pipe,it was solid,i had to cut the pipe away and renew,was a right bugger to remove the sludge,water would no way move it,

Right - the downstairs radiators did not get hot. I think I have sludge. What do I do next? :( I have read the explanation in the FAQ section but it is a bit long winded for me.

I did get some results from the small rad when I had the whole system on and was bleeding the rad. It started to get hot but went again. Does this imply that the problem is not too bad.

Turn off the valves on one of the smaller rads, disconnect it, drain water (messy!), ruin carpets, empty rad into bowl/bucket, look in disgust at black sludge, place bowl under each rad valve in turn, open valve to check for free flow, splash dirty water over walls, floors and yourself, get fed up, call in heating engineer.

OK I submit this is a job for the professionals.

Thanks for all your help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back