Cold downstairs rads - sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gang
I have just put our Vaillant EcoMAX 828 2E C/H system back on, but now find that I have hot rads upstairs and stone cold rads downstairs.

I know that at least one of the downstairs rads was suffering from sludge build-up prior to this (cold spot in the middle of the base of the rad.

I don't know anything about sealed systems at all, so I wondered if the cause is more likely to be a need for a powerflush, or a knackered pump. Or is it something more expensive?

Please help save my marriage!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
if you have trvs try turning upstairs rads off to see if any change. if u have trvs have they been turned down all summer as the pins under the removable heads can stick shut,

Hi - thanks for your quick reply!

TRVs all round the house, with a roomstat in the entrance hall. I have already tried turning off all the upstairs rads to see what would happen - result was an even colder house, with still no action downstairs! The c/h was turned off at the main timer all summer, with the TRVs left open, so I would not suffer the pins sticking on the TRVs.

oooooooooh. have you drain off valve s on the downstairs rads id be tryingto drag some water through the pipework after shuting the boiler down to see if it will run warm, one side at a time, u will need to add water via fillingloop as well.

Sponsored Links
mmmm - looks like your theory is one of blockage then? 11.30 in the night is not a good time to try this kind of thing! However, I certainly have drain-off points on at least three rads downstairs. Investigation is called for!

At a more reasonable hour connect up the drain pipe & let it run (recomend a jubilee clip on as well) ballance filling loop to maitain about 1/2 to 1 bar constant. then close the trv & check whats coming out of hose . let run a minute. then open trv . when trv open close lockshield end & observe. then close filling loop before shutting drain off. repessur to 1 bar open locksheild & fie heating to see what happens. if pump can heat al upstairs rads even if its on the way out it should manage one downstairs with upstairs off,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back