cold rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vailant turbomax combi boiler with 13 rads. The last rad on my system on 1st floor (furthest from the boiler) is cold and only heats up if i turn the rest off.

This is a newly added rad by the previous owner when he had an extension done and it is supplied via plastic pipes.

Do you think that I need to add a second pump to the system upstairs?.
Do you think there are too many rads on the system?.

I have bleed the system and emptied/refilled as I added a rad in the porch.

This problem has been since I owned the property before I did any work on it.

Boiler is working ok as had problems with it that have been repaired be vailant engineer. (in previous thread)

Sponsored Links
How long has the "new" rad been fitted?
I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic is blocked, it seems to be rather prone.

Sponsored Links
i agree with the last gentleman, but there is something i see as a growing trend is people that use plastic pipe ( forgive all good plumbers that use plastic and i do use it now and again!!!!!) :LOL: they haven't much plumbing experience or they real diy men and don't know what their at. they tend to try and feed heating circiuts off 15mm supplys, when 15mm should be only taken to the last 3 rads, provding the rads aren't too big. balance the system by turning off the lockshield radiator valve (ie the one u need to remove the plastic cap and turn with pliers) the just crack it open until it comes on. you will need to do this to all the rads and u should find u have to open the lockshield side more and more as u get away from the boiler. if it is just one individual rad not heating then it could be a faulty thermostatic rad valve. take the head off and push the pin down a few times. this can release it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back