Cold radiators upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone will be kind enough to give some advice on this ongoing problem. Though I've done lots of plumbing and a fair bit of heating this has got me stuck.
Ideal Mexico HE30 (floorstanding) boiler about 3 years old, Grunfos pump 2-3 years old and Honeywell 3port valve 1 year old. Honeywell room stat - new.
Rads throughout (balanced) reach reasonable temp when programmer set for CH but when set for CH and HW the upstairs rads go cold.
I've had all the rads off and flushed with a hose so feel that they should be okay and run de-sludger through for a week. Now wondering if there could be a section of pipework upstairs clogged.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
B33zo

Sponsored Links
Have you checked to see if there is a cylinder balancing valve.

Thanks KeithKar. No cylinder balancing valve fitted.
The system is vented and the cyclinder is about 25 years old.
Everything worked fine for 20+ years untill the 3 port valve became sluggish three of years ago.
I took out a bit of associated pipework when I replaced it and found quite a build-up of 'compressed' sludge in the 22mm tube.
Cleaned everything up and the system CH and HW worked fine.
Tired old boiler 'retired' a couple of years ago after magnificent service and replaced with new Ideal Mexico (apparently not highly regarded). Problems ever since...

Check the pump speed it may be set too low, it may be worth fitting a balancing valve on the return from the cylinder, however if the heating works on heating only it should work just as well when the hot water demand is satisfied and the mid position valve returns to heating only.

Sponsored Links
Check the pump speed it may be set too low, it may be worth fitting a balancing valve on the return from the cylinder, however if the heating works on heating only it should work just as well when the hot water demand is satisfied and the mid position valve returns to heating only.
Thanks again Keithkar, Pump set high. As you say if the heating works okay on CH it should continue working okay on CH and HW - but it doesnt!
With programmer set to CH only all the rads get hot. When it's set to CH and HW the water is very hot, the downstairs rads are hot but the upstairs rads are luke warm.
Cheers

The comprssed sludge you found was probably acting as a balancing valve for the hot water cylinder, water takes the path of least resistance, its easier to go through the cylinder coil that the upstair rads, do as keithkar suggested and fit a valve on the return as it leaves the cylinder.

The comprssed sludge you found was probably acting as a balancing valve for the hot water cylinder, water takes the path of least resistance, its easier to go through the cylinder coil that the upstair rads, do as keithkar suggested and fit a valve on the return as it leaves the cylinder.
Thanks Picasso. I'll fit a balancing valve as suggested and see what happens. As the HW can get very hot it suggests that the boiler is booting out enough heat but when the programmer is set for both HW and CH the water is circulating the easiest way possible which is through the cylinder coil. If that is true then I figure there must be some restriction in the pipework somewhere...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back