Cold Radiators Upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Problem

The downstairs radiators and hot water system works fine.
However, the upstairs circuit (5 rads) doesn't heat up at all.
The upstairs bathroom rad and 1 bedroom rad, (next to bathroom) does get some heat.

I have tried balancing the system, turning off the downstairs rads. Removing the rads and flushing through.

The pipework is either boxed in or buried in concrete, buts its the original when the house was built in 86.

The house similar to mine had similar probs, and apparently there was sort of valve in the pipework leading to the upstairs circuit, this was chopped out and the system worked. Mine is boxed in and tiled over, and never heard of such a valve!

Would be grateful for advice on what to do.

Sponsored Links
Do the rads bleed air or water out!?
If water, it sounds like you have a blockage at that valve you can't get to :cry:

Thanks for the reply
The rads bleed out water, and when I had them disconnected I had full bore flow and drained off a couple buckets full from each location.
Have you heard of such a valve seperating the upstairs and downstairs circuit?

Sounds like at some point its been a gravity hot water/pumped heating and the anti gravity valve is stuck or blocked. Its not a costly part if you can find it and a competent plumber shouldnt have to drain the system to change it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harrogategas

Finally got round to looking at the problem..again.
Had to removed kitchen cupboards, cut hole/s in boxed - in section to feel for said valve. Found it, it' nut coupled in, was going to leave it till the spring and drain down system, but in the meantime did a technical tap...and the radiators started warming up.
I will take it out in the spring.

Could you tell me if I can remove the internals of the valve to get a straight through flow?

My neighbour had the opposite problem, no hot water but radiator.
Removing the valve cured the problem.

Hope this may help some other, (valve is about 4 feet from boiler in the vertical line). :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back