Cold Water Ballcock Connection - problem refitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the ballcock from our cold water tank to try and clean the valve which was hissing and leaking. I can't reconnect the ballcock. It is an old fitting> The ballcock is on a metal pole with, at the junction end, a right-angle piece of metal about 1.25 inches long shaped vaguely like a double-headed hammer. This 'hammer' part inserts into the valve and engages in what is effectively a piston in a tube, sliding it in or out to open/shut off the water supply. At the base of the 'hammer' is a hole for the split pin which holds the ballcock in place and about which it rotates.
I just can't seem to get the 'hammer' bit deep enough into the valve to engage the split pin. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. I didn't drain the tank so am fighting against the ballcock's buoyancy - Do I need to drain the tank so that the ballcock can hang down, to make fitting easier/possible? Or is it something to do with 'shuttle valve' - I suspect it may have a recess in it and it has revolved out of synch but if this is the case, I couldn't find the recess.
Any solutions?

Sponsored Links
Throw the lot away and replace!

Read post no 14 in the FAQs which will take you through it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back