Cold water loft tank problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, replacing my steel tank with a plastic one and removing some lead piping.
For the hot feed, thought I had the right hole cutter in my drill but, oops, hole was a bit too big, not bigger than the washers but not a snug fit on the tank connector and now having troble sealing it. Just can't get rid of that last tiny leak.
Anyone got any tips for sealing it?
Or anyone know how I could blank off this hole and start again?

Thanks, Richie.

Sponsored Links
If I were you I,d get some thickish plastic which is fairly flexible and cut new washers to suit your tank hole and tank connectors

i would enlarge the hole using a rasp and fit the next size up tank connector with a reducer to fit the pipe just to make sure it will last.

everones human & make mistakes. just not all got the balls to admit it. Broke an oven grill glass door last week leaning on it while trying to clean out a multipoint full of soot.then in the afternoon my opo cracked a pan trying to redrill it on concrete. Bad days appen.

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe, suggesting a new tank and being derogatory is helping nobody, unlike you some of us are human and make mistakes

I`m sorry. I would suggest a new tank then.

It seems that now you you cannot be derogatory, inflammatory, rude or curt without some **** removing your post, can someone reign in these gobs*hite Mods?

Jeesus, is it `cos I is black? If you remove this I will sue.

:rolleyes: :eek: Student losers ;) )

i would enlarge the hole using a rasp and fit the next size up tank connector with a reducer to fit the pipe just to make sure it will last.
Good solution IMO.

Some hole saw mandrels sets allow you to mount two saws and so make it easy to enlarge a hole neatly.

If I were you I,d get some thickish plastic which is fairly flexible and cut new washers to suit your tank hole and tank connectors

The washers are right for the connectors and do cover the hole but probably just not by enough.

I think the problem is that as I'm tightening it the connector can move around a little and as it tends to one side I proably end up with a little bit of the hole not covered by "enough" washer.

I might have a go at cutting a narrow washer that will bring the connector up to the hole size to stop it moving, guess I just have to make sure it's not thicker than the tank wall.

yes, 28mm tank connectors readily available, buy a 28x 22 compression reducer set, cut off the 22mm olive to fit the 28mm nut and reducer set and it will all line up lovely jubbly

yes, 28mm tank connectors readily available, buy a 28x 22 compression reducer set, cut off the 22mm olive to fit the 28mm nut and reducer set and it will all line up lovely jubbly

excellent, that sounds like just the job, easier than trying to cut my own washers. I'll pay more attention to what I've got loaded on my drill in future!

Thanks a lot,
Richie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back