College assesment help - cavity wall & timer frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was looking for some help with a college assement please.

I have to describe the structural features of a cavity wall and a timber frame, and in principle what supports the upper floors and roof.

I come from an engineering background and have no real insight into cavity walls and timber frames. I'm undertaking an out of work college course and this happens to be one of the topics!

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks, Haffie.

Sponsored Links
I guess it's really up to you to find the answers and not just ask someone to complete your homework question though?
This information is easily and readily available on the internet and even in 'books'.

A masonry cavity wall is a single structural unit with each leaf being integral part of it, and relying on the other for stability.

With a timber frame the frame is the structural unit, and and brick leaf is merely a rain screen cladding with no structural function.

In either case, floor loads are taken by the internal leaf or timber frame.

I don't know how you will put that into 1000 words.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture - worth a thousand words:whistle: Damn, I wish I could be as succinct as you Woody;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back