colloidal silica on plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 2 large blue barrels ( I suppose that's the best word to describe them ) that used to contain colloidal silica according to the lables, and I was hoping to use them for storing water for the lawn..

they look clean inside from what I can see through the hole in the top, but I'm wondering if silica is bad for plants if there are still minute traces in there..

from what I've googled, colloidal silica turns into silica gel if it's too acidic, and that's the stuff they put in sachets in the packing of consumer electronics to keep the damp out..

silicon is apparently good for rice, but I'm not sure if it will be bad for the grass and any other plants I use the water on..

Sponsored Links
cant see a problem with it. weve used blue barrels on our allotments with all sorts of different contents. They normally only resale the ones which have had harmless stuff in. give it a few good rinses and should be fine.

okely dokely..
I'll water the weed garden ( wildlife behind the shed, let anything grow that wants to.. ) with the first few fills to make sure..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back