Combi boiler - heating comes on with hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This is my first post. Hope you guys can help!

I have a Worcester 24CDI RSF combi boiler - approx 7 years old, recently serviced. Over the last month, although the heating is switched off both at the thermostat and on the boiler itself, it comes on whenever the hot water is running.

I assume this is a problem that will require a plumber - but would like to get some idea of what it is likely to be before calling someone out so I am not totally ignorant!

Read somewhere on forum that it might be the "divertor". Any ideas much appreciated.

Regards, Lori

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I thought that was clear.

Basically I'd like to know what could be causing this problem. If it's something I can fix myself HOORAY - if not then it would be useful to have an idea of what could be wrong before I call in the pros.

I'm sure most plumbers are decent honest sorts but my mother-in-law has filled me with the dread of "being taken for a ride" so forewarned and all that.

Thanks,

Lori

And to restate the problem

Heating comes on whenever the hot water is running.

Not ideal as the weather warms up!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
DV stuck mid position.

Best to call Worcester in on a fixed price repair. ;)

Apparently the divertor valve is a relatively easy repair (according to The Whistler on AV forum)

So, am thinking might try replacing the valve myself - is this foolish? In truth I hate plumbing and try to avoid it if possible but am pretty skint at the moment and Worcester have just quoted me £285 call out fee - ok that includes parts and labour so is fixed but still ouch!

Have fortunately found the following - in which the poster has replaced the diaphragm on the valve in the exact same boiler, which I have to say looks rather daunting but probably do-able. http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/boiler/. I also have the service manual which describes how to replace the valve.

I have located a replacement diverter valve for £76.48 + VAT from a Worcester spares company and have asked whether they can supply the necessary O-Rings and fibre washers.

I will probably wait until my husband has gone on a business trip in a few weeks time so if I cock it up and need to call in a plumber at least I won't have him going mad at not being able to use the shower for a couple of days!

I do have a further question though - never having fixed a boiler before - what do you lubricate O rings with?

Thanks!

Lori

changing a div valve on theses is only easy if you have done it a shed load of times

i advice you strongly not to!

I would never attempt to change a DV on one of these either :rolleyes:

Most things you touch to access it will fall to bits or at best leak afterwards :mad:

Are you sure they quoted £285?

Last time I contacted them it was £185 including 3 major parts :confused:

Got to agree with Matt and Dave, Lori. Not that easy, though having said that not really that hard, though I do replace them or strip and clean.

We use silicon grease to lubricate the 'o'rings, simular to Vasaline ;)

The CDi div valve comes with the relevant o rings and washers but if you've never changed one before get a pro in.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I had a feeling it would be better left to a pro. And yes, it's the tendancy for old things to leak in unexpected places when reassembled that puts me off.

I too was surprised at the high rate quoted by Worcester, they said it was a combination of the age of the boiler and because it had not been previously registered with them. I guess since that quote was all in they were covering themselves in the eventuality that multiple parts might need replacing.

If I don't go with them I suppose I still have the option to buy the parts myself (at a signficant savings no doubt) and have a go, then call in the pros if I get stuck. Then at least I am only paying for the labour. Is that too cheeky? Would any self-respecting plumber tell me to take a hike?

I will certainly mull it over in any case before making a decision. Thanks so much for all your help!

Regards,

Lori

I would be slightly amused to find a boiler in pieces, but I suppose you would expect that.
As long as the customer does not come up with a bunch of very transparent lies, I would not mind repairing the damage.
Whether you get the parts or I do, makes little difference to me provided they are the correct bits.
I charge an all in price for a job and never itemise it in so much for labour and making an extra bit on the parts.
A lot of engineers try to satisfy customers who begrudge them a profit by hiding part of it in the parts.
I am a bit dense, I think I can stay in business by only working for people who understand that I work for gain rather than the pleasure I get out of doing my job.

I would also normally try to help a customer who had had a go and failed to complete the job. Even on a CDI which is a model I avoid changing the diverter valve.

I did one for a friend with my trainee. Specifically to show the trainee that it was a job to be avoided! It took us 2.3 hours! Part of that was because a plastic part was jammed and we had to be very careful as we did not have a spare with us.

There is one situation where I sometimes do not help. Thats where the customer has refused to call me because he thinks our charges are too high. I think they are very reasonable of course. He then calls a cheap nupty who totally messes up the boiler and expects me to come and sort it out for him!

Tony

Apparently the divertor valve is a relatively easy repair (according to The Whistler on AV forum)

So, am thinking might try replacing the valve myself - is this foolish? In truth I hate plumbing and try to avoid it if possible but am pretty skint at the moment and Worcester have just quoted me £285 call out fee - ok that includes parts and labour so is fixed but still ouch!

Have fortunately found the following - in which the poster has replaced the diaphragm on the valve in the exact same boiler, which I have to say looks rather daunting but probably do-able. http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/boiler/. I also have the service manual which describes how to replace the valve.

I have located a replacement diverter valve for £76.48 + VAT from a Worcester spares company and have asked whether they can supply the necessary O-Rings and fibre washers.

I will probably wait until my husband has gone on a business trip in a few weeks time so if I cock it up and need to call in a plumber at least I won't have him going mad at not being able to use the shower for a couple of days!

I do have a further question though - never having fixed a boiler before - what do you lubricate O rings with?

Thanks!

Oh no dont do it yourself you are playing around with a complex piece of equipment which can kill!! that is why us gas engineers have years of experience and are subject to 5yrearly checks and assesments

Lori

Fair point, we all have to make a living. Frankly I would prefer to have someone else do it. And I also have to factor in my time/effort/headache/stress quotient. Not to mention the safety aspect.

It's good to know how plumbers price jobs - as I will certainly get some quotes on fixing this. So provided I get a fixed price (inc. parts and labour) I'm guessing this might be somewhere around the £185 mentioned by gas4you? If the parts cost in the region of £85 and it could take 2hrs that's approx £50 per hour for labour.

Seems reasonable.

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate the input.

Lori

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back