combi boiler in attic query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi and thanks in advance for help. i am about to have a combi boiler installed in my loft. i have been told that i require a couple of things doing in advance. one of which is causing me a bit of grief!!! i need to install a fixed ladder to allow access which is fine BUT i have a limited swinging radius for the ladder in the loft due to the low pitch of the roof and placement of the hatch in my hallway. I can get round this by installing a corsetina ladder but i am being told that the new regs state that the ladder must be fitted with a handle on both sides for safety. is this correct or am i being led up the path here? moving the hatch is possible but a hell of a job as the entire roof is likely to head south! any help would be much appreciated!!
thanks

Sponsored Links
i currently have a back boiler installed but the time has come to get rid of that. i need to have it installed in the attic due to other alterations happening around house. does anyone know where i can find the actual regulations online regarding loft installation? i have searched but cant seem to find a complete set of guidelines???

i am being told that the new regs state that the ladder must be fitted with a handle on both sides for safety. is this correct or am i being led up the path here?
With whom have you been talking to/getting advice from up to now?

Sponsored Links
You need ladder access and a working platform leading to and around the boiler. Headroom will be a practical issue as some boilers are installed under stairs.

You need ladder access and a working platform leading to and around the boiler. Headroom will be a practical issue as some boilers are installed under stairs.
According to the building regs a fixed ladder or stair is only required where regular maintainance (more frequent than once a month) is required. I understood a platform is required though ie the joists need to be boarded which is sensible anyway. I'm sure I've seen a diagram in the regs somewhere showing a bloke maintaining a boiler or suchlike and the space around him required? :confused:

Or does it all come under CDM regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back