Combi Boiler providing intermittent hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please help... a problem with hot water and no plumbers seem to be available to help in the next month.

The problem is that the boiler seems to cut out intermittently. The problem is particularly bad with the shower. It will provide hot water for about a minute, and then gradually the water gets cooler and eventually cold. You can sort of 'jump-start' it again by turning on the hot tap to full blast and then the shower will heat up, but it cools down again after another minute or so.

The system pressure is at almost 1.5 bar so I don't think that's the problem but I really have no idea what else it could be.

The problem also exists with the other taps in the house...

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - is that something I should attempt myself, or is it a job for a qualified person... bearing in mind that the only boiler maintenance I've ever done is increasing the system pressure.

ta for your help :)

Sponsored Links
That's a no then :oops:

I think I'll have to just have cold showers til I can find a plumber...

You could pop down to your plumbing merchant shop and buy a themo-coupling ( approx £5-£10 depending on type of boiler ) make sure you got your boiler make details and sometime they can be very helpful to explain how to fit it,if not at least you've got a spare one. Don't go to DIY stores for advice on plumbing e.g. Homebase,B&Q etc,as you can't expect them to be expertise on boiler.

Problem might also be a sticky/slow diverter valve. If the pressure diffrence is lessened ( by mixing cold water with the hot at an outlet) the valve may not activate thus no hot water.If the hot turned on full blast then valve opens and hot water appears. ( I may be COMPLETLY wrong though ...)

I think it's this themo-coupler thing... last night I tried to run a bath and the boiler just wouldn't fire up. Eventually I cranked the thermostat up to max and hit the boiler in frustration and hooray hot water. Dangerously hot, but hot. The minute I turn the thermostat down again off goes the boiler.

Same problem in the shower this morning. I really don't want to go messing about inside my boiler (I'm terrified of an explosion).

So can anyone recommend a plumber in the NW London area?

Ta.

Your local planning officer should be able to recommend a plumber for you as they are too many cowboys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back