Combi boiler thermostatic mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I,m looking at installing a thermostatic mixer shower to bathroom. Combi boiler is in loft & water takes ages to come through hot.(has always been like this from new) Can i break into hot water pipe in loft & run a feed straight to mixer in bathroom which is almost directly underneath boiler.

Sponsored Links
You can, but it might not make much difference. Combis take time to fire up and heat up the primary circuit and hence the DHW. Thus you turn on a tap, and perhaps 30s later there is hot water leaving the boiler - the BG badged WB in my house can take a full minute !

This is a fundamental issue with combis - and there have been various measures built in over the years to "deal" with it. Some fire up every now and them to keep themselves warm. Some have a very small storage tank in the back of the boiler.

Before you want hot water, try this : turn the hot tap on and off again, ie just run it for a couple of seconds. Now wait 30s and turn the hot tap on - and see how long the hot water takes to come through. It'll probably be a lot quicker than from cold.
The first turning on of the hot tap triggers the boiler to fire up - and then most of them tend to stay on until they're hot. Then when you turn the tap on again, the boiler and primary circuit are already hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back