combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to have a combi boiler fitted, but there are so many on the market can anyone recomend and also ones to steer clear of??

Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
There are so many condensing models and the ones to choose would be those with a stainless steel heat exchanger in many peoples opinion.

These range from £499 including vat for a 28 kW to well over £1000 for the same power. Vaillant, Viessmann, Worcester and Glow-Worm are popular brands at the higher end of the price range.

There are still some subsidised deals available for installers for a week or two.

Tony Glazier

I tried my best to answer this question HERE as did a few others It's a sort of pay your money take your chance thing really. There's so many factors involved and everyone has their own preferences. My preferences are to stay away from anything french and stick a 'cheapy' in.
What makes stainless steel corrosion resistant is the chromium in the steel so a stainless heat exchanger with not enough chrome in could be outlived by a decent aluminium alloy HE in theory.
What tony says about stainless HEs is the concensus of opinion I agree, but after conceding the point that some early ones were a failure I think that the ali alloy types available now need to be allowed to stand the test of time before the jury can return a true verdict.

Slug, you have probably noticed that I do not usually offer my own opinion! In fact I dont really have an opinion of my own, I listen to others opinions and take note of what they say as this must be relevant within the industry but being objective often seems difficult for many people.

Any one individual's opinion can be distracted by bad experiences which are atypical.

Recently somebody engaged me to advise just because they had noticed that I keep an open mind and do not recommend any particular brand but just note their advantages or disadvantages.

Tony Glazier

Agile Services

Sponsored Links
Heres a tip, if it has the word "boiler" anywhere on it or the installation instructions and you have it for 5 years then it will be crap and cost you the earth to run it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back