Combi Cold Water Design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought that a combi boiler took a cold feed in and then had a cold feed out so all hot/cold water (for taps) passed through it. Am I mistaken, or do different manufacturers do it differently?

I was looking at the Vaillant 838 install manual and noticed they only have 5 connections; CH flow, hot, gas, cold, CH return (plus the filling loop).

If the cold taps in the house are fed directly by the incoming mains water do I need to give any consideration to where on that circuit the boiler gets it's feed? Should the boiler be the first connection off the incoming mains, or does it not make any difference?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the cold taps in the house are fed directly by the incoming mains water do I need to give any consideration to where on that circuit the boiler gets it's feed? Should the boiler be the first connection off the incoming mains, or does it not make any difference?

Thanks.

Fit a full bore maintap. From this take 22mm, even if a 15mm main pipe, directly to the combi. All the cold outlets will be on one leg then. Nothing teed off this pipe - except the cold to the shower(s) just before the combi. Take the hot for the shower back to the combi and have a mixer with an integrated pressure equalising valve inside - or one external. Put isolation valves on each appliance and tap and throttle back to suit. A dishwasher does not need full flow, neither does a basin or toilet. Balance the system up.

In practice no difference although theory may say different.

If you are concerned about balanced pressures fit a pressure reducing valve just after your cold mains stop cock and set it to about 0.5 bar leass than your incoming mains pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back