Combi/Unvented Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on adapting my Combi boiler setup to include an Unvented hotwater cylinder and possible solar panels.

I understand about the single hot water tap to the ensuite basin and by using a Y-plan or S-plan from the central heating flow to divert the heated water to the coil withing the cylinder.

My question is will I need to put a radiator in circuit with the cylinder coil or will it be ok to just circulate the heated water around the coil on it's own?

Cheers

Del

Sponsored Links
I am planning on adapting my Combi boiler setup to include an Unvented hotwater cylinder and possible solar panels.

I understand about the single hot water tap to the ensuite basin and by using a Y-plan or S-plan from the central heating flow to divert the heated water to the coil withing the cylinder.

My question is will I need to put a radiator in circuit with the cylinder coil or will it be ok to just circulate the heated water around the coil on it's own?

Cheers

Del

Could I ask why you are fitting an unvented, is it just to accomodate a solar system???

you dont need a rad on the circuit. i think your mixing it up with the likes of solid fuel were they needed a heat leak rad.

Some people fit a rad as a heat dump for solar.

Sponsored Links
Could I ask why you are fitting an unvented, is it just to accomodate a solar system???

Partly to accomodate the solar and partly because I don't like Combi boilers. At the moment I am getting lots of problems in the DHW aspect of my Heatline :confused: boiler so I thought of using the C/H side.

I like to swop out the gas and replace it with an ECODAN or similar and I thought by doing it in stages I could keep on top of the cost etc.

I was just concerned there might not be enough water flowing in the coil in the cylinder. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree :D

Ecodan uses HW priority and you have to be really careful what cylinder you use, a normal unvented won't do.

NB: We are an Ecodan registered installer, not in your area.

Ecodan uses HW priority and you have to be really careful what cylinder you use, a normal unvented won't do.

NB: We are an Ecodan registered installer, not in your area.

Simon , Thats interesting. I am in the Ground Source Heat Pump business but I can't afford one of them.

What if I were to do the ECODAN route in stages. Say put the cylinder and solar panels in first, then introduce the heat pump when finances allow.

What sort of money do you think I'm looking at? My house is a normal 3 bed semi with 2 adults & 2 kids, current boiler is a 24KW Combi which seems adequate.

Cheers

Del

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back