combined hot and cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in an old 60"s flat i have an old very large looking combined hot and cold water tank,the cold water on top with a ball type feed. Is it possible to feed the hw tank and cw taps direct from mains and do away with the cw tank on top?

Sponsored Links
I think you have a Fortic type system.

If you want to heat your water with this system, then the cold tank must stay, as it feeds this tank.

No you can't.

It is not designed to withstand mains pressure.

You could replace it with an unvented cylinder installed by a professional plumber holding the G3 ticket.

or if the boiler is old it may be worth replacing the whole lot with a combi

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to feed the hw tank and cw taps direct from mains and do away with the cw tank on top?
I had a brainwave like that once! I just got my feet wet! LOL
If you could do what you propose; don't you think the manufacturers would have said that their tank could be modified in this way? Don't you think everyone would be doing it?
Unfortunately water expands when heated and unless you make adequate provision for this you could effectively create a bomb.
Here's what happens when a small 54litre tank is left to the ravages of steam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back