Common roofspace - breach of compartment?

N

Newboy

I'd appreciate some advice.

As a part of fitting a new kitchen, a leaseholder in top floor flat (1980's purpose built unit 3 story residential) has cut through the kitchen ceiling and installed an over-hob extractor hood venting into the common roof-space via a flexible PVC duct.

Roof is cut roof construction with concrete interlocking tiles over felt and masonry internal walls providing compartmentalisation between the roof-spaces over the two top floor flats.

Setting aside the stupidity of venting into an internal roof-space, my chief concern is the increase in the risk of fire spreading into the roof-space. I'm trying to find which, if any B.Regs may have been breached with a view to remedying the situation - the closest I think I can get is B3 10.9 & 10.16 but not sure that they would apply in these circumstances.

The leaseholder is, to put it mildly, a PITA to deal with and I'm looking for a simple factual approach prior to the legals of trespass, breach etc.

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Building regs wont have been breached because they do not apply to that work.

Are you the landlord, else what is your interest in this?

We maintain the property on behalf of the freeholder.

I had a feeling that I was clutching at straws with B.Regs!

Any other suggestions (various fire regs./legislation spring to mind)?

Sponsored Links
The Regulatory Fire Safety Order will cover the gap through the ceiling, but it will require it to be picked up on a formal fire risk assessment first. The thing is though, it will be the landlord's responsibility (duty) to sort out, and then try and recover his costs after - as a service charge or a claim under their contract.

Otherwise it's some other contract claim under the lease.

But the above will only cover fire safety. The leaseholder could potentially just fit a fire collar and that resolves the safety aspect. The venting issue is one for the lease agreement or common law trespass.

Thanks for that - I've come to much the same conclusions (and delighted that I'm not a landlord!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back