Compact Boiler??????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
just about to install a new boiler and i want a compact one that fits in a cupboard...
I looked at the Worcester Bosch CDi 36kw and a Glow Work Flexicom but wanted to know if anyone had any points to raise about either?

I heard from one boiler engineer that the worcester is still fairly new therefore not tried and tested...

anybody got any ideas or reviews or any other compact boilers they can recommend?

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
the new Worcester Compact is one of the best they have made in my humble opinion but will be a lot more expensive than the flexicom but if you use a club energy installer you will get a 5 year warranty with the flexicom

the WB comes with a 5 yr warranty or 7/8 yrs if fitted by a wb accredited installer. i ve fitted a lot, nice boiler no probs as yet

I'm a Worcester Bosch engineer and I can tell you there has been a lot if r&d gone into the compact range plus if you do have any problems with it our backup service is second to non which I'm sure installers on here will tell you. They don't just make a boiler and put it out there they field trial them for a year or more plus lots of bench testing. I can't speak for other manufacturers obviously but as said 5 year warranty or if fitted by a Worcester accredited installer upto 7 years and even an additional year if you also fit one if our system cleaners. So a potential 8 year warrant on a boiler from the market leader :)

Sponsored Links
So why are they still riddled with stupid design faults?

And why don't manuals get updated?

Hint. ... High flow commissioning instructions ;).

So why are they still riddled with stupid design faults?

And why don't manuals get updated?

Hint. ... High flow commissioning instructions ;).
I don't know about literature on the boilers but I know it's undergone updates. What design faults have you came across? No appliance is going to be perfect, like the prv on the juniors and si greenstars.

Stupid case screws.

Stupid prvs repeated on new models.

Stupid expansion vessel connections.

Stupid syphon fill mode whenever you sneeze near the boiler.

Stupid flimsy jigs.

Stupid amount of work to change the plate unless you know the trick.

Stupid number of boiler models in the range.

Not boiler related, but seeing as Worcester advertise the complete package:

Stupid 08 numbers for tech support. And lying about not being able to offer sn 01 number.

Literature is vital. It supercedes standards and regs. If you can't get that right. ?..... ;).

Stupid system based on numbers rather than quality.

I think your complaining to the wrong person. I just fix the boilers. Have a word with your sales rep.

I shouldn't have to; was just answering your question.

Anyway, I no longer fit Worcester. I would prefer to spend the money on a boiler that doesn't need fleets of people driving around fixing things under warranty and trying to steel my annual services.

No offence:)

Worcester Bosch dont make products that are easy to work on, and as usual I agree, or at empathize, with most of Dan's comments.

The new Compact Bosch is an amazing product, but the casing design is laughably complex and amatuerish. It is like they got the outer peripherals designed by someone who had never had to work on a boiler outside an R&D lab.

This is really the fault of the Product Manager, who is meant to ensure the design is both reliable, comes in on budget and is reltively easy to work on in a typical domestic environment. I expect they have achieved the first two.

The Worcester Compact will have been rigorously tested before launch, it is backed by the best aftersales the boiler industry has ever seen in the UK.

They have recently changed their contact numbers to 03, with intention of being allowed in most free call package bundles that customers might have.

But I advise all my 'WB Compact' customers to make sure the tops/bottoms of kitchen units, not to mention lighting pelmets and cornices, are easily removable. Otherwise, even the annual service will be a mission just getting the cover off.

Worcester seem to me to be operating the boiling frog management !

Does the latest boiler have an accessible PRV yet ?

I complained years ago about all their 084 numbers which we all hate. All I got was a standard worded reply which did not even address the issues I had raised!

It has taken them that long to change to the 03 numbers that we can all call from our mobiles!

Tony

At least they answered the phone when you rang it, Tony. More than you can say for some of the others.

They do answer promptly!

Mostly seem to give fairly good advice too.

But I do like to see DHW temp knobs on the front of boilers!

Seems I've sparked a discussion saying who I work for! I'm not on here to argue the toss as to whether the boilers are any good or not (that's down to opinion) I just come on sometimes to share some of my knowledge that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back