Completion Certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is anyone able tell me what building control require to issue a certificate. Cut a long story short house is self build started 2001. Ex has delayed completion and therefore can not get a mortgage to pay me off until this certificate is issued.
Recent court hearing ex blamed building control - cited them as busy during summer break and he still has loads to do on house. Court action has now taken 3 yrs and he has until October 31st for compliance, otherwise house will be sold at auction. He has a firm mortage offer but Halifax want certifcate.

I called building control last week - not heard from him for over 2 yrs nor have inspected property to see what needs doing.

My question is - does the whole house have to be finished - decs, flooring or is it just certain things like walls, staircase, windows, rendering outside.

Any advice would be useful because my next step will be to evict him.

Debs

Sponsored Links
Can you list what you know is not finished - I think it would be easier that way for clearer advise on the scale of things. The problem is it would be easy for you to miss things that are not visible like insulation or even things done but not done correctly.

One thing that does not need to be finished is the interior decoration, wall and floor finishes, including tiling to bathroom walls and floors. It can be just a completed shell with basic amenities shown on the drawings. So a full kitchen fit out is not required, but the sink yes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back