Compression reducers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just removing my old rad valves to replace with new ones.
The existing valves use reducers to accommodate a 10 mm pipe to 15 mm valve body.

The old adapter seems to come in two separate parts with a 10mm olive sandwiched in between

The new ones seem to be a single part without an olive.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/reducing-set-15-10mm/70435

Can anyone tell me if this the screwfix item is the correct part i need to fit the new valves and would /how would i fit an olive in there if required?

Sponsored Links
that's the reducer you need ,no olive needed.it does not require one as it compresses directly to pipe/ valve body.

Thanks.
Looks like i had a 3 part version fitted previously

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111511444311

I guess the one peice ones are the newer type since the 3 part jobs seem to only be available on ebay

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
both do the same thing but the one piece is less fiddly ,and a better design in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
both do the same thing but the one piece is less fiddly ,and a better design in my opinion.

Cheers Terry.
In terms of future work and the potential need to remove the valves for whatever reason, which type do you reckon is less hassle to remove and replace
( for a diy'er)?

I know they'll both have to be cut off but I've been reading that the one piece versions can distort the pipe a fair bit which will also need cutting back in order to get a good seal when refitting new.

With the exception of the olive, the top and bottom section of the existing 3 part ones will come off by hand and the pipe looks okay.....
Im yet to cut off the olive and inspect what sort of shape the pipe is in underneath however.

if you overtighten either type the pipe gets crushed ,once that happens there is no alternative but to cut off the damaged section ,or replace a section of pipe. a common mistake for diy'ers is using too much force ,thinking the tighter I can make it ,the less likely it is to leak. Quite wrong !

Yea true.

Ill see what shape they're in once the olives are off and take it from there.

Thanks for the advice Terry

Will give it a go.

The existing pipes are burried in concrete with no movement which means ive got no margin for error if i balls this up.

Wish me luck boys

you can solder a new section of pipe in ,low down near floor level , so it's not really visible , if you have to .are you using a wheel cutter to cut pipe ? miles easier than a hacksaw .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back