computer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when my computer is turned off it takes a long time to come back on, a small flashing line comes on in the left hand corner when it is first turned on then it takes 5 minutes or more for the screen to light up. I am not very computer savvy so I need very simple answers. tia Linda

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean the top left corner of the screen?

This is normal, but should not take this long to boot up.

I'm no expert, but I recently had a similar problem and was found to be a faulty usb device that was connected to my PC.

Try removing all (any) usb devices then re-booting. If this doesen't help, then I'm sure one of the experts will be along soon ;)

I assume its something hooked up to my computer there any many things. lol Linda

Hold the windows logo key(bottom left) simultaneously with the PauseBreak key(diagonally at top to logo key) this brings up the System Properties dialog.

Click on the Hardware Tab then on the Device Manager button

At the bottom of the list click on the little plus sign next to 'Universal Serial Bus controllers

This opens a sub list

Are there any yellow exclamation marks against any of the listings?

If so repost with typing exactly which ones are marked

Mods should this thread be in hardware rather than software?

Sponsored Links
i had the same problem with my computer and i downoaded this free clean up program its called advanced system care if you put a scearch in for it but remember to put in free were and on this program if you go to utillaties and then admin tools and then start up tools you can take some of the programs that start up when you switch on you computer and it starts up faster.

Windows Vista by any chance?

If you're recently installed any antivirus or similar software, it might be doing an over zealous scan on booting.

i had the same problem with my computer and i downoaded this free clean up program its called advanced system care if you put a scearch in for it but remember to put in free were and on this program if you go to utillaties and then admin tools and then start up tools you can take some of the programs that start up when you switch on you computer and it starts up faster.

I would advise any newbie or people not used to a computer to be very cautious about using programes to clean your pc. But more importantly especially those that are said to be free. Firstly there are many free programmes on the net which say they can have your pc running faster, or clean out all those junk files? Usually you will either get more than you bargained for or you will find important files that are removed which without those files your computer cannot continue to function properly and could cause you many hours of frustration and even money putting the problems right. Some of which cannot be put right.
These prorammes especially the free ones in particular can download all sorts of nasties into your pc. My advice is before downloading any programme especially if it is free, do a Google on it and read other peoples comments. But you are the one in charge and it is you who makes the decision at the end of the day. Use any cleaning programme very carefully and if it talks of cleaning your registry be extra careful.Tw good cleaners i can recommend that are free are C Cleaner and ATf cleaner all of which can be downloaded from file hippo. I prefer not to post links in case you get taken to a spoof site. C Cleaner only use the beginner mode if you are a newbie. If you use the advance mode get some advice on this before you do anything in there. Hope this helps someone out.:cool:

You mean Advanced SystemCare Free from http://www.iobit.com/

I use their excellent free Smart Defrag. Being impressed with that, I grabbed a 6 month trial of Advanced SystemCare Pro - following some careful checking, I find it better than the old Norton System works tools...

Unfortunately the 90 day trial licenses no longer work... But do Click for a look There may be other offers at RaymondCC.
-p-

Sponsored Links
Back