Concealing shower cabling above bath

stl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric shower installed (MX Inspiration LX8.5 or 9.5kW), connected to the Consumer Unit by a 40 MCB. The cable goes under the floorboards, then through the floorboards to along under the bath then up behind the bath taps up to the shower on top of the ceramic tiles (in a white duct). There is also the cold water supply pipe to the shower running up from behind the bath, on top of the tiles, adjacent to the electric supply cable.

I am looking to get someone in to break out the tiles and bury the cold water pipe and electric cable within the plaster and then re-tile. Before I get someone in to do it, I am looking to get some advice first and so have a few questions:

- Is it o.k to do this, or is there any risk of cable overheating due to increased insulation?

- Should the white cable ducting be buried as well with the cable inside it, or the cable buried directly in the plaster?

- If the water pipe is to be buried as well, is there a minimum distance between the electric cable and water pipe required?. I am assuming they can’t both be put in the same ‘chased’ out plaster channel?

- Would this work require certification under Part P? – and if I get someone in to do it that is ‘Part P’ qualified do I still have to contact the local authority or do I just get a written statement saying all work undertaken in accordance with Part P.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

the cable should be buried into the wall recessed into the plaster or brick depending how thick the plaster is.

I would use plastic capping or oval conduit as metal capping is a no no in bathroom walls for me.

Make sure the water pipe does not touch the cable but it should be okay to run adjacent. Also make sure the cable runs in line with shower and not in a place where people might assume there is not a cable.

As for part p, well i think someone else will answer that as i no nothing about it.

stl said:
Would this work require certification under Part P?

This work requires certification in accordance with BS 7671.

...if I get someone in to do it that is ‘Part P’ qualified do I still have to contact the local authority or do I just get a written statement saying all work undertaken in accordance with Part P

There is no such thing as a Part P qualification. No such thing as Part P Registered, come to that, although, as with so much linguistic laziness, the term 'Part P Registered' appears to have stuck. Part P is simply 'Chapter' P of the Building Regulations.

If you use such a registered electrician he will issue you with an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work, then notify his governing body, who will, in turn inform Building Control and send you a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate. You need do nothing at all except keep both certificates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back