concrete cracked.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys, i just laid 5mtr by 2mtr of concrete, 150mm thick, but now its drying there is a crack developing right across the middle, what have i done wrong,? was the mixture too wet, can i just fill the crack in later.?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It is drying out too quickly and needs protecting from the sun.

Wet sacking, spraying with water or covering with plastic sheeting usually works.

It is drying out too quickly and needs protecting from the sun.

Wet sacking, spraying with water or covering with plastic sheeting usually works.

Ah thanks for that..so ideally it should have been done on a cloudy day as well...

You can lay concrete on a warm day and have no problems, as long as it is say kept in the shade all day.

suction from beneath can be a factor also.

Common (building) sense says that on a warm day and in direct sunlight, curing concrete requires protection.

The shrinkage cracks may not be all that detrimental and are possibly only in the surface. I have seen 500mm thick foundation concrete with minor surface cracking, whereby the cracks only go down a few mill.

5 or 6mm of cracking ain't gonna bother a heap of concrete none.

Sponsored Links
5 x 2, so where is the crack, can you sketch it...pinenot

5 x 2, so where is the crack, can you sketch it...pinenot
there was actually two or three that spread from one side of the 5meter length to the other....i sort of blended the surface over the cracks with a trowel when it was nearly dry, doesnt look too bad now,,,i just wondered what i did wrong :unsure:

1. "what i did wrong" was not coming on here or somewhere similar before starting.

2. Preparation: assuming no hard core, did you pre-water the earth below the concrete?
Was the earth beaten down?
Was a membrane used? Not always necessary, but can be useful.

3. Was the pour vibrated - by hand or mechanically?

4. Did you tamp down the surface from equal benchmarks to leave a level surface before the water flashed?

5. Did you use simple form/shuttering boards at the edges? They will retain the pour.

In southern France, which tends to have hot summer sun, it is the practice to do prep in the morning, and pour in the afternoon, avoiding peak sunshine. It will then form a set overnight.

Covering and keeping it wet for at. least a week, preferably two, while it cures, will greatly improve hardness and strength

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back