Concrete dust in solum - a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am concerned about the state of my sub floor (solum).

The entire floor looks like the photo. There is a solid conrete base, but it is not smooth. There is bits of concrete, wood, dust and other debris.

I have a slight odour problem in the ground floor in the house and I think it maybe because of concrete dust/debris coming up from the solum. The odour gets a bit worse when the temperture of the room increases. People that have visited say the odour I am concerned about is simply a "house smell" and I shouldn't worry and that it is bearable. I however am concerned about my health - concrete dust is not healthy to breathe in.

I intend to lift/scoop/hoover and even wash solum. The question I am leading to, is can I leave the solum as it is once and i have cleared it or is there some special chemical treatment that can be carried to finish the solid concrete to prevent any further corrosion or dust being released?

Sponsored Links
The dust is no problem or any health risk at all - it`s lack of under floor ventilation causing the slight smell :idea:

Concrete doesnt smell and the dust wont be in the air if you dont disturb it! And think about it - you have a filter under the boards there, insulation!

Our "solum" (is that a word?) is a lot worse than yours, and doesnt smell, and we dont have insulation below the boards.

I would strongly advise you dont touch the dust down there.

Just leave it be, put the boards back down and burn a glade candle for a few days. Buy or rent a carpet cleaner, put the sofa covers in the wash, clean the bin, etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Check the air bricks are clear, inside and outside, so there is a good air flow ventilating the space, and close up the floor. As above, stagnant air, due to poor ventilation can lead to condensation and damp, causing odours, and eventually rotting the floor timbers. The presence of dust and debris will have little or no effect on the level of natural ventilation.

Cleaning the space will expose you to more dust than several lifetimes in the house with the debris undisturbed.

The link you posted about damage from debris left under floors refers to the practise of using the void as part of the forced air handling and cooling systems used in large computer rooms, where thousands of litres of air per minute are constantly pumped into the void, much like the whole room is inside a giant vacuum cleaner. That is common in commercial premises, but of no relevance to domestic properties.

I posted a similar reply - but it`s disappeared :confused: it was a serious one too :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back