Concrete floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen another post simular to what I am about to ask, but I have a few different parts to it.

I am converting my garage to a Gym/utility room. I don't need to get building regs involved. I want to lay carpet and lino straight onto the concrete but am concerned about the floor being cold.

I am waterproofing with an epoxy, well I am getting the professionals in for it actually.

Is there a simple/easy/cheap way to insulate.

I don't want to raise the floor so kingspan/celotex is not an option, plus I don't want to put a timber floor on top. This all adds to the cost.

Sponsored Links
will you be removing the garage door and installing some brickwork and a window?

will you be heating this space?

will the utility room require drainage?

will the space be kitted out with electrics?

in other words, if you are converting the space to habitable usage, then building control will be rather useful.

Sponsored Links
Hi noseall,

yes to all your questions. I did contact Planning and building regs. Both said they didn't think I needed inform them or apply for anything. They were both vague so I am going ahead anyway.

I have had dealings with them in the past and my opinion is they don't know their asses from their elbows. Argue with them and you generally get your own way.

fredymercurystwin:

Thanks for the insulation link I have got some of a different type and was wondering if it was any good.

I did contact Planning and building regs. Both said they didn't think I needed inform them or apply for anything. They were both vague so I am going ahead anyway.
Just for the record, its extremely unlikely that what you're doing would not require building regulations legislation; http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315233105.html Anyway whether you convert legally or not is a matter for you and may well determine if you can call it a room or not when you sell the house.

I have had dealings with them in the past and my opinion is they don't know their asses from their elbows. Argue with them and you generally get your own way.
Thats a mighty bold claim, building control are usually very helpful and I suspect the regulars on here would tend to disagree aswell. :rolleyes:

In answer to your question, I've used the insulation before and its fine although only as the manufacturer intended its use, not as you are. Not much you can do if you don't mind a bit of a bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back