Concrete slab finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys/ Girls,

Looking for some advice I’ve recently had a concrete slab poured for a garage to be put on.

It was poured about 7 days ago so I stopped watering it 2 days ago and now as it’s drying out it’s almost like there was a layer on the top after it had been floated..

Will this layer come off once dried just as I’m wanting to get my garage up on the weekend.

Please see the pictures attached
BDA0AACA-A6FA-4658-9957-7CA710118382.jpeg
4ABD268D-1AA2-4ACC-A22B-7EFBA1D2BE54.jpeg
A92888FC-D5C5-4626-94F2-91C58AE651B9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Its called laitance, and can be scrubbed/scrapped off, it's normal... get busy (y)

If it's for a garage and you are not covering it, you can leave it, will just be dusty.

That layer has nothing to do with you carrying on with the garage walls.

You say the slab was floated, but it looks like it's a very rough surface, and it may well be a very soft surface too - requiring a hardener and dust proofer when you have finished and maybe self leveller and paint.

Sponsored Links
As above, its laitance, typically caused by too much water in the original pour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back