Concrete storm porch - repairing damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This question is about a problem with a concrete storm porch above our front door. The storm porch sticks out of the wall - it appears (to my uneducated eye) to just be a cantilever sitting on the inside skin of the wall. The top of the porch is quite seriously degraded, with lots of indents in it. Underneath isn't too bad.

Last year during the snowy weather we got a lot of snow/ice collecting on the storm porch, which then froze up considerably. We then saw melt water on the underside, dripping down. I suspect the porch may have cracks running through it. We also had water leaking inside the house around and above the front door - I suspect that as the ice melted it was coming in across the cavity where the concrete porch sits.

I'd like to try and rectify this before the autumn kicks in. Having spoken briefly about it with some people I wondered if it would be possible to have a thin layer of concrete on top, to level out the pitted surface, and then to use some kind of felting/flashing to cover this and the join with the wall.

Does this make sense - and does it sound realistic for a semi-competent DIY-er? If so I'll need some advice on materials and practicalities.

All comments gratefully received.

Keith

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back